Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bittersweet Endings

Last Wednesday was my last day of work! Not just for a short few months maternity leave.... but for a while.... a long while.

As some of you may be saying to yourself "yay!" or "that's wonderful", let me just say that I had the BEST job ever. It was an honor and a joy to go to work and be surrounded by the students and teachers that I had the privilege to work with. From the beginning of the school year, these friends joined with me in the awaiting of the girls' arrival. Their thoughtfulness and support will not be forgotten.

Some very memorable moments in the classroom:
  • my kiddos asking me (as I eat my different snacks during the day) "are the girls hungry again?" yes, we are always hungry.
  • "are they boys or girls? what are their names? when are they coming?"
  • one student asking earlier in my pregnancy:
C: why is your belly getting so fat?
me: well, I have two babies growing in my belly.
C: (after a few minutes of pondering) you mean you're pregnant? stand up, I want to see.
C: (after standing at the end of class) dang, you is pregnant!
  • during a conversation with another student, she came up with the name "Bubblegum". so what then should the other girl's name be?
  • and another student (T) loved to put his ear up to my belly and tell me what the girls were saying. He would ask them questions and tell me his made-up responses, like: "what was your favorite food at Thanksgiving? (after listening) she said she liked the ham, and she (pointing) liked the pumpkin pie." but T, I didnt eat any ham....

I love love love these students! They are special to me, and are already dearly missed!

However, I must add that my last day couldn't have come at a better time. The thankfulness of not working comes not when I think about how I miss my job, but after a very uncomfortable and unrestful night's sleep. I'm enjoying the PJ days at home, resting when I need to and not pushing myself to do more, being near the refrigerator, and working on the girls' room. It sounds like the ideal situation for a pregnant woman!

1 comment:

  1. Erin,
    I miss seeing you at school. I hope you are enjoying yourself and taking it easy. Before long you will forget what rest feels like =). Thanks for the updates and I can't wait to meet those sweet girls.
    Love,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete